Monday, April 27, 2009



Jazz had decided to take a few days off from work to hang with us and wisely directed us to Bradgate Park the next morning, a Friday. We opted for the very lovely (and for this American, authentic) Jade Tearooms across the road from the park’s entrance. The menu promised a wealth of delicious choices, and possibly one of the best omelets I have had. I’m not a cake eater but the scones oozing with Devonshire cream never left my line of sight until one had arrived before me.

Tea cups with a handle are held by placing one’s fingers to the front and back of the handle with one’s pinkie up again allows balance. Pinkie up does mean straight up in the air, but slightly tilted. It is not an affectation, but a graceful way to avoid spills. Never loop your fingers through the handle, nor grasp the vessel bowl with the palm of your hand.

I’m afraid my big American paw fails tea etiquette, so I opted for a large cup of coffee; that and the fact that only coffee serves to reconstitute my American brain after a late night.

No comments: